Had a great time. I love PEI. It has to be the most manicured place I’ve ever seen. People could live in dilapidated trailers but they still have great looking lawns.
A week is a long time to leave a garden alone in July. I was kind of worried about my broccoli before we left. A week of 25 C temps every day. And I come home to this. They bolted. Argghhh!!
Transferring half of the compost to an old garbage can. 3 months since I first started and it’s pretty well composted. I think I have the maggots to thank for most of this.
Beans are coming along.
I don’t know much about Roma tomatoes but I’ve got 9 Roma plants and they’ve all got tomatoes that look like the above. These aren’t Roma tomatoes. They look like some sort of beefsteak. I hate beefsteak tomatoes. How could this happen???? Oh wait, I know… Halifax Seed has screwed me again!!!!! When they’re not selling me old seeds that won’t germinate they’re selling me seeds from the wrong plant. I wouldn’t believe this if it wasn’t happening to me. Let’s go through our checklist…
- 50 peas – about 6 or 7 germinated.
- 6 types of herbs – 0% germination
- a whole row of beans – 0% germination
- pickling cucumbers – 0% germination
- purple carrots – about enough seeds to make a 4 foot row
- roma tomatoes that aren’t
- mint for my flowerboxes – 0% germination
- lettuce was about 20% germination, which is fine because I heavily seeded, but I wouldn’t want to be relying on their seeds if I had a lettuce farm
The garden so far